To say you will stay motivated is easier said than done. Trust us, we are guilty of it too. It’s easy to lose motivation when you’re trying to lose weight or even to stay active and burn calories. Going out with friends, big meals with families, and moments of weakness like indulging in your favorite dessert can set anyone back on their health and fitness journey.
With that in mind, we’re sharing three easy ways you can do to maintain your motivation!
Set GoalsWe recommend using the SMART method to set your weight loss goals:
- Specific: Your weight loss journey should have a clear and concise destination in mind. “Losing weight” isn’t as effective a goal as “lose ten pounds.”
- Measurable: Make sure you record each step you take towards your destination. Use FitTrack’s 17 key health indicators to help!
- Attainable: Ambition is important, but your destination has to be one you can realistically reach, otherwise you might find yourself discouraged.
- Relevant: Connect your weight loss goals to other areas of your life to make them more relevant. Maybe you want to lose weight so that you can enjoy more active time with your children, or because you want to impress your partner. Make your goals personal and unique to you.
- Timely: By putting a deadline on your goals, it’s easier to ward off procrastination.
Build a Team
Work with friends and family to hold each other accountable. Announce your weight loss goals and check-in with the people who are on your journey with you. Losing weight is harder when you’re on your own, so build a team of people who can support you and who you can support in turn.
Every time you reach a milestone, reward yourself with something simple. Buy some new clothes, go see that movie you’ve been waiting for (but skip the soda!), or indulge in a reasonable portion of your favorite cheat food. Positive reinforcement works wonders!
Motivation can be hard to maintain, but if you use these strategies you’ll be able to cultivate a positive attitude and strengthen your resolve as you continue on your weight loss journey."